[GENERAL] Stuck in a vacuum.

От Stuart Rison
Тема [GENERAL] Stuck in a vacuum.
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Dear all,

I started did the following on a table (blast_hits) with approximately
400,000 rows:

BEGIN;
UPDATE blast_hits SET hit_id=hit_id+400000 WHERE hit_id<=208611;

this was taking much too long (and I realised it was useless anyway)... so
aborted with Control C).

then did an END;

QUESTION 1: there was an index on hit_id (and on two other fields in this
table of five fields) should I have delete a) the one on hit_it, b) all of
them or c) none of them before trying the update?

Since I thought that probably left the table a bit messed up, I started a:

VACUUM blast_hits;

It's using 95% of the cpu and seems to be going nowhere (at least not in
the 30 minutes it has been running so far).

QUESTION 2: What do I do now?  Is there any way I can kill the VACUUM or
will they be the final nail in the table's coffin?

please help as my teeth are begining to suffer from extensive gnashing!

S.

| Stuart Rison            | Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research |
+-------------------------+ 91 Riding House Street               |
| Tel. (0171) 878 4041    | London, W1P 8BT, UNITED KINGDOM.     |
| Fax. (0171) 878 4040    | stuart@ludwig.ucl.ac.uk              |